Lifesavers with Pride
February 17, 2023 @ 12:00 am - March 5, 2023 @ 12:00 am AEST
2023 will be the fourth year of Lifesavers with Pride’s Rainbow Beaches Program. Surf Clubs around the country are encouraged to celebrate inclusion and diversity down on the sand by decorating their patrols and clubs in rainbow colours.
In 2023, the event will also align with the SLSNSW State Championships with rainbow decorations, demonstrating both to the Surf Lifesaving community that we welcome our LGBTIQ+ members and recruits, but also show the LGBTIQ+ community that Surf Lifesaving is proud and safe for everyone to come and join.
Lifesaver’s with Pride’s Charter identifies 5 objectives which we pursue through all of our activities;
- Promote awareness of beach safety and the role of lifesavers,
- Promote the surf lifesaving movement as nondiscriminatory and open to all Australians irrespective of age, sex, ethnic background, sexual orientation or economic status,
- Raise awareness among the surf lifesaving movement and promote acceptance from Surf Lifesaving Australia’s (“SLSA”) members of minorities within SLSA’s membership, and particularly of its gay and lesbian members,
- Raise awareness of the importance of the surf lifesaving movement among the gay and lesbian community and encourage their participation in lifesaving, and
- To generally act as positive role models for the gay and lesbian community